Monday, April 18, 2011

a much needed update

hello!  I apologize for not posting for quite a while, things have been quite busy around here lately.  I am going to write a real quick update of what's been happening since last weekend (April 8-10) and then in the next day or so i will blog about my latest weekend adventures.

Last weekend ended up being really great...i stayed in Dunedin because i had an ecology field trip over the weekend.  On Friday i went to my first New Zealand rugby match - the Highlanders vs. Cheetahs.  It's semi-pro rugby and was a neat experience.  I can't say that i understand it all quite yet, but i feel confident that once i sit down with someone who really knows the game and get them to explain it more in detail i will catch on.  We got some really great Leonard photos and he quite enjoyed the rugby match as well.



Leslie, Paula, Jo, and I
Saturday morning was the start of my field trip and we went to a place called the Orakonui Ecosanctuary.  It was actually quite cool - basically a huge project to try and restore the area to its past ecosystem state, which means trapping and ridding the land of non-native rodents that kill the native birds and breeding/re-introducing native birds.  We got to learn a lot about methods they use to maintain the area and conservation efforts.  One thing that i really had trouble with, though, and consistently find as a part of NZ culture is their lack of organization.  Granted, things still usually function here despite much less planning, but in cases like this field trip, where i really wanted to be back for my Saturday evening, i was a bit frustrated when they got us back an hour late, just because they didn't move things along better.  Anyways, just a cultural difference.  Saturday night was girls' night, and that it was in so many ways.  My friend Suzie and i had gotten together for coffee on Friday and decided last-minute to plan a girls' night for any friends that had stayed in Dunedin for the weekend.  It was just so good to get together and hang out with each other, just for the purpose of having fun and enjoying each others company (ok, and eating lots of desserts too).  Suzie cooked a really great dinner and everyone brought something and we painted our nails and watched the Notebook (yes, a very girly girls' night indeed).

just to prove it...
One thing i forgot to mention that you all will think is funny and ridiculous (at least i do..) - Kiwis apparently like the idea of having disposable red cups at their parties...these are cups that look just like Solo cups but aren't Solo brand because they don't have that here.  I think that it seriously is one of those things that became a fad because of American movies showing Solo cups at parties, which we all know is the case just because Solo is the leading brand of decent disposable cups in America, right??  Well, Paula and I were in the liquor store last weekend and saw a package of the imitation-Solo cups - 10 cups for $6.99!!



Sunday was one of those days when i caved and went with the kiwi culture.  I totally on a whim decided i would try something new and go surfing!  Paula and her friend Sydney were going to St. Clair Beach to take a lesson and try and learn, and i went too.  The three of us had a blast and i actually did learn - i was able to stand and ride a wave in about 6 times.  I also ate the waves pretty hard many more times than that, but it was still just such a good time.  Then Sunday night was church at Grace and Paula and I went : )  God is really working in that situation and teaching me every day to just trust Him in everything.  This week Paula told me she was coming before I'd even asked.

Paula, Sydney, and I

So that sums up my previous weekend, before this past one.  Oh, and what an adventure this past weekend was, I'm excited to be able to share it with all who keep up with this blog.  it's so encouraging to know that people are reading what I'm up to over here on the other side of the world and that I'm able to share from afar what I'm learning and how the Lord is working in my life in NZ and in the hearts of people around me here.

oh and Dunedin is cold as (kiwi for ya!).  For all of you from Somerset and Grove City and even Pgh who complain about the weather, i don't want to hear it...at least you have heat and insulation in your residences.  I spent the majority of my day inside my down sleeping bag and seeing my breath inside my flat!  Down jackets and smartwool socks = two of the best products ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment