Wednesday, February 9, 2011

getting there

So i am finally on my way to NEW ZEALAND!  I got up this morning at 5 am and we were on the road before 6 and i have just been going since.  Thus far, none of my flights have been delayed and here's to hoping that the big one that I'm about to board goes well too.  The time difference is already getting to me, and LA is only 3 hours difference!  Ok, let me back up... I flew out of Pittsburgh at 10:15 am this morning and landed for a layover in Chicago, which is 1 hour behind home time.  Then i flew from there at 3 (Chicago time) to LA, where i am now, which is another 2 hours behind, so 3 hours earlier than PA time.  So i am taking off from LA at 9:15 here time, but it'll be 12:15 am home time.  Just imagine how I'm going to have to adjust to being 18 hours ahead by tomorrow evening!

Things today have been good - i am much more content now that i have said my goodbyes and moved on for this adventure.  I've already met some interesting people...i sat beside a 26 year old dude on the way to California who is a songwriter/producer with a studio in LA and has had some really cool adventures of his own.  We talked for the majority of the flight and concluded about how interesting it is that you can fly, for example, beside someone for just a few short hours and wind up knowing more about him than you might many of your friends.  I just love having genuine, down to earth (no pun intended, as i had these conversations in the air) talks with people, really getting to know who they really are.  I've also met a whole bunch of AustraLearn students (the program through which i am studying abroad) and many of them are attending the same university as me.  I can't wait to get to know them more and share in the many adventures that are to be had!

Thanks to all of you for being so darn supportive and encouraging.  I so appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.

great humor about airports

2 comments:

  1. today in class we talked about time zones. i told my students about you studying abroad. they now think you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! well, i am awesome. Hah dude i miss you! and i want to meet your students and see where you are living. Really hope i can come visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete