Sunday, February 27, 2011

first day at Uni


I think I mentioned this before, but college/university here is known as Uni (as in, it’s weird for one to say college or university; I now say ‘I’m going to Uni’ rather than college).  Last night was the first night in the entire time that I've been here so far that i didn't hear loud music when i was going to bed.  It was odd actually, to go to sleep and not hear the sounds of partying...but a really nice change.  Today was officially my first day of classes and it went really well.  I only have one class on Mondays: Adventure Education.  I had a bit of trouble finding the right building; it’s tough sometimes because the buildings for Otago are spread throughout the city.  But I did find it and got there in time.  This class is taught by a professor named Mike Boyes and he seems like a really cool guy.  I’ve actually already met him once (I had to get signed into the class) and he is like the ultimate old outdoor man.  He has white hair and was clad with hiking boots, a Mountain Hardware monkeyman fleece, a backpack, and apparently just finished hiking the AT a few months ago when he spent some time in the States on sabbatical.  He introduced the class, which is about the psychological and sociological aspects of outdoor education and risk-taking.  He then invited anyone to his office at any time to discuss anything that has to do with our interest in nature and the outdoors.  I think I am really going to like this class.

I then proceeded to take care of several errands around town, including my application for my 18+ card (so I don’t have to carry my passport every time I go out), buying a starbucks mug for my tea, going to Kathmandu for a tent, and checking to see if I could find camera shop to clean my lens and get the grain of sand out that is interrupting the autofocus function.  To my dismay I found that professional lens cleaning is way above my price range - $75 just to send it away and not including the actual labor/repair cost – and that a new 18-55 kit lens runs at $375!  (I told you that things are so much more expensive here)  So I have decided to just go on TradeMe (NZ version of ebay) and get one there for probably around $50.

As I write this post I am sitting in the middle of Uni, along the leith and enjoying the really nice day that it’s become – 65 degrees and a bit breezy but this is really nice weather for Dunedin, as they say to expect 4 seasons every day here.  The Uni itself cannot compare with the aesthetics of Grove City, but there are several really nice gardens and parks around the area and throughout campus.

my view from across the leith

No comments:

Post a Comment